Performing Actions Upon Documents
The “Actions” command, see figure below, allows you to manage different activities on a document.
This action allows you to open the detail sheet of the document, as shown below, and eventually update the “meta-data” of the document.
From the “Detail” tab the follow actions can be performed:
- Rename the document
- Change the description
- Change the status
- Change the category of the document
Select the “Save” command to confirm.
The follow commands are also available:
- “New version” – upload a new updated version of the document
- “Download” – download the document
- “Check-in / Check-out” – Perform the block / release of the document viewing
This action allows access to the “Versions” tab, see figure below, which displays the list of document versions.
The “Versions” tab allow you to:
- “Return to this version” – return a previous version to active status
- “Download version” – download a selected version
- “Delete version” – delete a selected version of the document.
The “Log” tab displays the list of activities carried out over time on the selected document.
The following information is available:
- The date, the user, the action performed; the details and the file name of the action.
The following action are monitored:
- Upload new version;
Check-in / Check-out:
BiC is a multi-user system that allows access to documents to multiple users at the same time.
To prevent multiple users from modifying the same document at the same time, only one user can edit the same document at the same time.
The “Check-out” command therefore allows you to “lock” the document being edited, preventing another user from modifying the same document at the same time.
To check out a document, select the document and select “Check-out” from the “Actions” command.
In the list of documents an icon will appear corresponding to a closed padlock, see figure below, indicating that that document has been locked by another user and that therefore it can not mbe edited until the user who has performed the “Check-out” has returned the document.
Upload new version
The “Upload new version” action activates a Pop Up, as shown below, to define the loading choices for the new version of the document.
From Pop Up you may:
- Select the “Choose file” command to choose the new file to upload;
- Change the name of the document;
- Change the description of the document
- Change the document status using the drop-down list;
- Change the category associated with the document;
Confirm the data entered in the new version by selecting the “Load” command.
Move a folder or document
To move one or more items select them and then select the “Move” action from the Actions command.
The “Move” action activates a Pop Up, as shown above, allowing you to select a location for the selected document or folder.